Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chia Seeds, Muffins and Madness

I'm gonna admit it.  So, sit back and hold tight to your love handles.  I don't like Dr. Oz.  Okay, breathe, it'll all be okay.  I promise.  And really?  Would I lie to you?  Every one of his shows is telling us about weight loss and cancer prevention.  Sorry, I can't take the pressure.  I eat stuff.  I suck down my fair share of oxygen.  I live in the real world.  Constantly being told that getting cancer is probably gonna end up being my own fat fault - well, I have enough guilt from other sources, thanks.  I've been on so many guilt trips that I have matching luggage and tons of frequent flyer miles.
BUT, I do like Dr. Oz's muffins.  And I like chia seeds.  Never had a Chia Pet though and for this, let's all have a moment of silence.  This particular pet makes me giggle.  --->



Here's the recipe for the muffins.  I made some changes.  First, I don't grind my seeds.  Too much work.  And we all know how I feel about work.  Secondly, I add extra Craisins.  Who wouldn't given the chance?  Toss in some of the cherry or blueberry flavored ones.  Yummy.  You might consider an extra egg white too.  These babies are kinda dense.  Chia seeds are the new superfood health experts are talking about. These nutrient-packed seeds have been shown to fight cancer and suppress appetite while providing mega amounts of calcium and omega-3s.



Chia Muffins


Ingredients
1 tbsp ground chia seeds
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sweet potato purée
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 egg whites
1/2 cup agave syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions
Mix together wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.  Scoop into muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350˚F.






The next food adventure will involve hemp.  No, I'm not planning a batch of marijuana brownies.  Again.  Now.  I need to read more about hemp protein.  Seems it might give whey protein isolate a run for its money.

Until next time, dear reader, make some muffins.  Your tummy will thank you.  And Dr. Oz will be so proud.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to try these. I put Chia Seeds in my protein smoothies. I don't think I would grind them either. They remind me of poppy seeds, so I don't mind them whole. Thanks for posting the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete